Honeycomb Trellis Cable Knitting Stitch Pattern, as the name suggests, is a visual arrangement of honeycomb-like motifs in a trellis format. The honeycomb motifs have sharp corners and a unique, oval shape. The ends of the honeycombs are linked together with two special stitches, namely, Twist 3 Back and Twist 3 Front (1/2 Right and 1/2 Left Purl Cross) stitches.
Honeycomb Trellis Cable is structurally similar to Tall Honeycomb Knitting Stitch but has wider honeycomb motifs.
This knitting stitch creates a highly textured fabric, and so is an excellent choice for making panels in large projects such as blankets and afghans.
Video Tutorial – Coming Soon!
Multiple of 6
These free knit pattern instructions are written in US terms. You can also check out other standard knit abbreviations.
|T3B||Twist 3 Back (sl 2 sts to CN, hold in back, k1 from left needle, p2 from CN) – also called Knit One Over Two Right Purl Cross (1/2 RPC)|
|T3F||Twist 3 Front (sl 1 st to CN, hold in front, p2 from left needle, k1 from CN) – also called Knit One Over Two Left Purl Cross (1/2 LPC)|
Special stitches: (making cable stitches without using a cable needle)
T3B (Twist 3 Back, also called 1/2 Right Purl Cross (RPC)) –
- Insert the right needle into the front of the third stitch on the left needle and slip it, letting the first two stitches drop off the needle towards the back of your work.
- Pick up the dropped stitches with the left needle, then transfer the slipped stitch back to the left needle. (The stitches are now twisted.)
- Knit the first stitch and purl the next two stitches.
T3F (Twist 3 Front, also called 1/2 Left Purl Cross (LPC)) –
- Insert the right needle into the back of the second and third stitch on the left needle and slip them, letting the first stitch drop off the needle towards the front of your work.
- Pick up the dropped stitch with the left needle, then transfer the slipped stitches back to the left needle. (The stitches are now twisted.)
- Purl the first and second stitches and knit the next stitch.
CO multiple of 6 stitches.
|Row 1 (RS):||p2, * k2, p4; rep from * to last 4 sts, k2, p2.|
|Row 2:||k2, * p2, k4; rep from * to last 4 sts, p2, k2.|
|Row 3:||Rep Row 1.|
|Row 4:||Rep Row 2.|
|Row 5:||* T3B, T3F; rep from * to end.|
|Row 6:||p1, * k4, p2; rep from * to last 5 sts, k4, p1.|
|Row 7:||k1, * p4, k2; rep from * to last 5 sts, p4, k1.|
|Row 8:||Rep Row 6.|
|Row 9:||Rep Row 7.|
|Row 10:||Rep Row 6.|
|Row 11:||* T3F, T3B; rep from * to end.|
|Row 12:||Rep Row 2.|
Repeat this free knit pattern (12 rows) until you have reached the desired length for your work.
We love seeing your finished projects! Share any project you make using this free knitting pattern for the Honeycomb Trellis Cable Stitch on Instagram, and tag us @aabharcreations or #aabharcreations. Or, if you’re on Facebook, visit our page, AabharCreations and share a pic. We would love to see your work!
Pin it for later so you can access excellent knit pattern tutorials from the series ‘Knit with Aabhar‘!
Check out other easy-to-learn beginner-friendly ‘Cable‘ knitting patterns:
- Staghorn Cable Stitch Pattern
- Diagonal Cable Stitch Pattern
- Small Double Cable Stitch Pattern
- Double Rhombus Stitch Pattern
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see the full disclosure for more information.