Zig Zag Loop Stitch knitting pattern is a vertical arrangement of a zig zag chain embroidery stitch on a background of garter stitches. Like the other loop knitting patterns, it prominently features the Right and Left Twist Loops.
The Zig Zag Loop Stitch is a slightly complex knitting pattern, and it will work gorgeously in home decor projects such as cushions, pillow covers, and even afghans. You can use yarn of any weight, but choosing a decorative yarn will affect the pattern’s appearance.
(Multiple of 4) + 2
Instructions for this free knitting pattern are written in US terms. You can also check out other common knit abbreviations.
|st (s)||Stitch (es)|
|wyib||With yarn in back|
|wyif||With yarn in front|
RTL (Right Twist Loop):
- Insert the right needle into the front of the 4th stitch on the left needle and slip it, letting the first 3 stitches drop off the needle towards the back of your work.
- Pick up the dropped stitches with the left needle, then transfer the slipped stitch back to the left needle. (The stitches are now twisted.)
- k1 wrapping yarn twice around needle, k3.
LTL (Left Twist Loop):
- Insert the right needle into the back of 2nd, 3rd and 4th stitches on the left needle and slip them, letting the 1st stitch drop off the needle towards the front of your work.
- Pick up the dropped stitch with the left needle, then transfer the 3 slipped stitches back to the left needle. (The stitches are now twisted.)
- k3, k1 wrapping yarn twice around needle.
CO (Multiple of 4 sts) + 2 sts. For example, you can cast on (5 x 4) + 2 = 22 stitches to knit a sample swatch.
|Row 1 (RS):||k1, * k3, k1 wrapping yarn twice around needle; rep from * to last st, k1.|
|Row 2:||k1, * sl 1 wyif dropping extra loop, k3; rep from * to last st, k1.|
|Row 3:||k1, * k3, sl 1 wyib; rep from * to last st, k1.|
|Row 4:||k1, * sl 1 wyif, k3; rep from * to last st, k1.|
|Row 5:||k1, * RTL; rep from * to last st, k1.|
|Row 6:||k1, * k3, sl 1 wyif dropping extra loop; rep from * to last st, k1.|
|Row 7:||k1, * sl 1 wyib, k3; rep from * to last st, k1.|
|Row 8:||k1, * k3, sl 1 wyif; rep from * to last st, k1.|
|Row 9:||k1, * LTL; rep from * to last st, k1.|
Repeat these free knitting pattern instructions (Rows 2 – 9) until you have reached the desired length for your work.
We love seeing your finished projects! Share any project you make using this Zig Zag Loop Knitting Stitch free knitting pattern on Instagram, and be sure to tag us @aabharcreations or #aabharcreations. Or, if you’re on Facebook, visit our page, AabharCreations, and share a pic. We would love to see your work!
Pin it for later so you can always access excellent knit pattern tutorials from the ‘Knit with Aabhar‘ series!
Check out other easy-to-learn, beginner-friendly ‘Textured Knitting Patterns‘:
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through our links. Please see the full disclosure for more information.