Mock Cable Rib Stitch is one of the easiest mock rib knitting patterns that are ideal for beginner knitters. It’s a complex, intricate, yet elegant-looking pattern that’s easy to knit and isn’t too challenging. Because of the repeating columns of LT (Left Twist) stitches, it gives the knitted fabric a ribbed appearance and texture.
The Mock Cable Rib Stitch knitting pattern creates a fabric that is quite flexible, making it perfect to knit scarves, blankets, or even a pullover.
(Multiple of 7) + 2
This free knit pattern is written in US terms. You can also check out other standard knit abbreviations.
(sl 1 on to CN, hold in front, k1, k1 from CN)
Special stitches: (making cable stitches without using a cable needle)
LT (Left Twist, also called 1/1 Left Cross (LC))-
- Insert the right needle into the back of the second stitch on the left needle and slip it, letting the first stitch drop off the needle towards the front of your work.
- Pick up the dropped stitch with the left needle, then transfer the slipped stitch back to the left needle. (The stitches are now twisted.)
- Knit these two stitches one by one.
- Knit into the back of second stitch on the left needle.
- Knit the first stitch.
- Slip both the stitches off the left needle together.
CO a (Multiple of 7 sts) + 2 sts. For example, you can cast on (7 x 3) + 2 = 23 stitches to knit a sample swatch.
|Row 1 (RS):||p2, * LT, k3, p2; rep from * to end.|
|Row 2:||k2, * p5, k2; rep from * to end.|
|Row 3:||p2, * k1, LT, k2, p2; rep from * to end.|
|Row 4:||Rep Row 2.|
|Row 5:||p2, * k2, LT, k1, p2; rep from * to end.|
|Row 6:||Rep Row 2.|
|Row 7:||p2, * k3, LT, p2; rep from * to end.|
|Row 8:||Rep Row 2.|
Repeat these free knitting pattern instructions (8 rows) until you have reached the desired length for your work.
We love seeing your finished projects! Share any project you make using this free knitting pattern for the Wishbone & Seed Cable Stitch on Instagram, and tag us @aabharcreations or #aabharcreations. Or, if you’re on Facebook, visit our page, AabharCreations and share a pic. We would love to see your work!
Pin it for later so you can access excellent knit pattern tutorials from the series ‘Knit with Aabhar‘!
Check out other easy-to-learn, beginner-friendly ‘Cable‘ knitting patterns:
- Pyramid Stitch Pattern
- Diagonal Cable Stitch Pattern
- Claw Stitch Pattern
- Wishbone & Seed Cable Stitch
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through our links. Please see the full disclosure for more information.